Kizomba is...

"An embrace means I don't feel threatened by you, I'm not afraid to be this close, I can relax, feel at home, feel protected and in the presence of someone who understands me. It is said that each time we embrace someone warmly, we gain an extra day of life."

A quote from Paul Coelho (one of my favorite authors) that describes for me what dancing kizomba is like.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Kizomba and Spring

Springtime always makes me think of cherry blossoms and haikus.

I think its because when I was growing up, I loved reading manga and had crushes on some of the characters I read about and there was always something special about springtime and cherry blossoms.

All the cherry blossoms and wonderful weather in Seattle has inspired a kizomba haiku:

We walk relaxed, slow
Together we dance as one
A sweet close embrace

The adage "less is more" are words that resonate strongly with me so its no surprise to me that kizomba is a dance that resonates just as strongly with me. These same words can be applied to make kizomba hit that sweet spot every time you dance.

You know how there's a running joke with that other dance-aerobic (and NOT partner dance) form called zumba? Well, I tell people to think of the chant "ohm" while meditating - this dance is so chill its like meditating: so, its "kiz-ohm-ba".

As I continue to learn and teach this dance, I realize how much we relearn movements that our bodies would normally do when relaxed. It has taught me a lot about how my body works and how it works when dancing with someone else. I am constantly learning about what years of outside influences have done to make me (and others) forget what comes naturally.

This dance has a beautiful simplicity that many mistakenly view as easy. Walking with a relaxed stance, in close contact to someone, moving as one, is never quite as simple as it sounds.

Simple and relaxed, that's the key to achieve that kiz"ohm"ba moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment